After rumors of a new Dr. Dre album started to spread, the album was confirmed by Dr. Dre and be released on August 7th. Fans of one of the greatest hip-hop producers of all time will finally have a chance to enjoy new music, even though Dre has stated this could be his last..
Here are the 8 facts we know about the album right now.
1. The Album is Called Compton: A Soundtrack
The album will be available August 7, exclusively on iTunes’ Apple Music, which can be preordered here.
2. Dre made the announcement on his Beats 1 radio show “The Pharmacy”
The big announcement was made on the Countdown to Compton episode of Dr Dre’s “The Pharmacy” radio show. Dre was joined on the episode by Ice Cube and Straight Outta Compton director F. Gary Gray.
You can listen to the full episode of “The Pharmacy With Dr. Dre” here on Apple Music’s Connect.
3. Ice Cube Indicated Earlier in the Week That a New Dre Album Was Coming Out
Earlier in the week, Ice Cube was a guest on Philadelphia’s Power 99 and he confirmed that there would be a new Dre album coming out.
Cube stated that”
“It’s mega. It’s Dr. Dre, it’s what everybody’s been waiting for,”
Cube went on to say:
“It’s definitely a dope record, and he’s dropping it all on the same day.”
4. Dre Confirmed This Album Back in March
During a radio interview with LA radio personality Big Boy, Dre indicated that he was working on a soundtrack for
Straight Outta Compton.
“I’m working on something right now. I don’t want to put it out there just yet and say that I’m definitely gonna put it out. But I’m really feeling what I’m working on right now,”
Dre went on to say.
“This would be a record that’s inspired by the movie.”
5. Dre Explains Why He Chose to do the Album
On “The Pharmacy” show Dre explained why he decided to do an album.
“During principal photography, I felt myself going to the studio and being so inspired by the movie that I started recording an album,”
He also said:
“I kept it under wraps, and now the album is finished. It’s bananas. It’s an ‘inspired by’ album. It’s inspired by Straight Outta Compton, we’re gonna call the album Compton: The Soundtrack. I’m really proud of this.”
Dre also called the album his “grand finale.”
6. Dr Dre Explains Why Detox Didn’t Come Out
One of the biggest mysteries and most anticipated album was Dre’s Detox. He went on to explain why the album never saw the light of day.
“It just wasn’t good.” “This is something you’re not gonna hear many artists say. The reason Detox didn’t come out was because I didn’t like it. It wasn’t good,”
“I’m gonna keep it all the way one-thousand with you, seriously. I worked my ass off on it, I don’t think I did a good enough job, and I couldn’t do that to my fans and I couldn’t do that to myself, to be perfectly honest with you. I just wasn’t feeling it.”
7. The Album Cover is an Ode to Compton
8. The Tracklist Looks Really Special
Compton. A Soundtrack will include rap heavyweights Eminem, Kendrick Lamar, Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg, the Game and many more will feature on the 16-track LP
Compton: A Soundtrack tracklist:
2. “Talk About It” (feat. King Mez & Justus)
3. “Genocide” (feat. Kendrick Lamar, Marsha Ambrosius & Candice Pillay)
4. “It’s All On Me” (feat. Justus & BJ the Chicago Kid)
5. “All In a Day’s Work” (feat. Anderson Paak & Marsha Ambrosius)
6. “Darkside/Gone” (feat. King Mez, Marsha Ambrosius & Kendrick Lamar)
7. “Loose Cannons” (feat. Xzibit & COLD 187um)
8. “Issues” (feat. Ice Cube & Anderson Paak)
9. “Deep Water” (feat. Kendrick Lamar & Justus)
10. Jon Connor – “One Shot One Kill” (feat. Snoop Dogg)
11. The Game – “Just Another Day” (feat. Asia Bryant)
12. “For the Love of Money” (feat. Jill Scott & Jon Connor)
13. “Satisfiction” (feat. Snoop Dogg, Marsha Ambrosius & King Mez)
14. “Animals” (feat. Anderson Paak)
15. “Medicine Man” (feat. Eminem, Candice Pillay & Anderson Paak)
16. “Talking to My Diary”